Saturday 5 July 2014

Summer camp story. The RoadTrip diary, part 3

The next destination of our journey was a summer camp called Virvytė in Mažeikiai. The children who participate in it are from 6 to 16 years old, and a lot of them come here every holiday for the past few years. The minute we arrived, we realized that the atmosphere is really warm and nice, and the kids are very open and eager to talk with us. Welcome to Virvytė!


We would like to describe the camp from one of the partcipant’s point of view. Tadas is 12 years old, he speaks fluent English and he agreed to answer us for few questions. Here is the summer camp story, seen through his eyes.

Karolina Waligora: Could you tell us something about yourself and the reason why are you here?
Tadas Ceckauskas: My name is Tadas and I’m 12 years old. I came here because my mom found this summer camp on a website. It looked really fun, so she suggested I should come here, and that’s why I am here now.




K.W.: Is this your first time here?
T.C.: Yes, this is my first time.

K.W.: And are you planning to come here also next year?
T.C.: Yes, I think I’m gonna come here next summer.

K.W.: And why would you like to come back?
T.C.: Because it’s a lot of fun here! The supervisors are really nice; they create funny games, like auction for example.

K.W.: How does your usual day look like?
T.C.: We get up at 7.55 am, we do the morning routine at 8.10 am, and then we clean up our room do everything we need, and then we eat. This is the morning. Then you can choose what you would like to do - football, baseball, basketball. In the mornings I prefer yoga. In
the afternoon, when everything ends, we can do all the activities again, and
after this we have free time.

K.W.: Which activities are the most attractive for you?
T.C.: Actually, I really like all of them.

K.W.: How do you feel about people here? Do you keep in touch with them after the camp too?
T.C.: Yes, one of the kids from here was actually my friend already. It was actually a coincidence, that he was in the same room as I got.

K.W.: So what was the most attractive for you so far, what was the best moment?
T.C.: When I met all of these people I guess, when I met the supervisors that speak English. I enjoyed that a lot.


K.W.: Here you are around people all the time. So do you feel that this type of community is good for kids like you?
T.C.: I think it’s very good, because you improve your communication skills, you make more friends, and you are not that shy any more. For example when I came here I was very shy, because I knew that it will be more than 50 people. But it turned out to be really nice; I have met a lot of people and became friends with them.

K.W.: Here you have a lot of foreign supervisors who speak English. Do you think it’s a good idea for a camp like this to hire international staff?
T.C.: Yes, that’s a very good idea! Foreign supervisors bring something more than Lithuanian ones, for example games, activities. But they also bring something new from their own countries.


K.W.: How would you recommend this camp to your friends?
T.C.: I would say that you have to come, it’s really fun, and you will meet cool people and nice supervisors. You will never regret coming here.

No comments:

Post a Comment